QLM Document Protection and QLM Enterprise can protect your Unity Windows executable by wrapping your EXE file with another executable file which protects your application using QLM’s licensing mechanism.
This new executable contains an encrypted copy of your application along with metadata required to enforce licensing of your application.
To protect your Unity Windows Executable:
- Launch the QLM Management Console
- Go to the Define Products tab and create a new product for your application. During the trial period, if you are connected to our Demo License Server, you should skip this step.
- Then, go to the Protect your application tab
- On page 2 of the wizard, select the product you defined. During the trial period, if you are connected to our Demo License Server, you should select "Demo 1.0".
- On page 3, check the option “Windows Executable” and click Next
- On page 4, select the executable you want to protect
- Optionally, select an icon to associate to your EXE
- Set the bitness to AnyCPU
- Optionally, select the digital certificate to sign the final executable
- Click Next
- On the Look and Feel Customization page, in addition to customizing any look & feel setting, you may want to customize one of the following settings:
- QlmExeWrapperRunWithElevatedPrivileges: set this value to true if your EXE needs to run with elevated privileges. This is typically the case for an installer.
- QlmExeWrapperShowWizardBeforeExpiry: set this value to the number of days before expiry to force the wizard to be dispayed every time the application is launched.
- On the Save your customizations page, select a folder where the protected executable file will be generated. Select the same folder where you Unity executable is located.
- Click Save. An executable will be generated along with one DLL (QlmLicenseLib.dll) that you need to distribute with your application.
When QLM generates an executable, it prefixes your own executable with Qlm. For example, if your Unity executable is called MyApp.exe, QLM will generate a file called Qlm_MyApp.exe.
- Rename your original MyApp.exe to Original.MyApp.exe
- Rename Qlm_MyApp.exe to MyApp.exe
- Launch MyApp.exe
If no license was previous activated, the QLM License Wizard will prompt you to enter a license key.
- Go to the Manage Keys tab in QLM and click the “Create Activation Key” button
- Select your product and any other option of your choice and click OK
- A new Activation is created. Copy the Activation Key and paste it in the QLM License Wizard that was prompting you for a license.
- Click Activate and proceed with the wizard
- Your application should now open up