One the fundamental differences between QLM Express and QLM Pro is that Express does not work with a License Server. License Keys created in QLM Express are therefore not stored in a database nor tracked.
Whenever you create a key in QLM Express, you need to manage this key by storing it yourself in Excel, for example.
The workflow for QLM Express is the following:
- A customer purchases your product
- You ask the customer to send you their unique computer identifier (Computer Name, MAC address, etc.)
- You use the QLM Management Console to create a license key bound to the end user system (Computer Key). Keys are generated from the "Generate Keys" tab in QLM.
- You send your customer the Computer Key
- They launch your application and when prompted, they enter the Computer Key.
Since QLM Express does not work with a License Server, there are several limitations that you should be aware of:
- When transferring a license to another computer, there's no way to determine if the user is no longer using your application on the original system.
- There is no way to revoke a license.
- You cannot integrate QLM Express with an e-commerce provider
- You need to track your customers and License Keys in Excel (or similar tool).
- You can only protect Windows applications
Additional limitations of QLM Express:
- No support for Java, iOS, Android or any other mobile device
For a side by side comparison, click here.