The system requirements for the QLM License Server are:
- Windows 2008 R2 server or higher (x86 or x64).
- ASP.NET Framework 4.5
- Microsoft SQL Server Database or MS-Access
- Full Trust for .NET assemblies.
Before installing the QLM License Server, make sure the above components are installed on your system. To install IIS and enable ASP.NET on your Windows Server, read this article.
The License Server can be installed in 2 ways: (a) by running the provided setup program qlmwebsvcsetup.exe or (b) by executing the installation steps manually.
If you are hosting your own web site or if you are distributing the QLM License Server as part of your program (requires special distribution rights), then option (a) is recommended. If your site is hosted at an ISP, then you may need to use option (b).
Automated installation of the web service
To install the QLM License Server, locate the qlmwebsvcsetup.exe setup program in the QLM installation folder. Typically this file is located under:
QLM v7: C:\Program Files\Soraco\QuickLicenseMgr\DeployToServer
QLM v8: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Quick License Manager\DeployToServer
Execute the setup and follow the onscreen instructions.
Manual installation of the License Server
To manually install the QLM License Server:
Locate the QlmWebService folder in the QLM installation folder. Typically this folder is located under:
- QLM v7: C:\Program Files\Soraco\QuickLicenseMgr\DeployToServer\QlmWebService
- QLM v8: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Quick License Manager\DeployToServer\QlmWebService
- At your ISP, create a new virtual directory called qlm and enable ASP.NET 4.0 for this virtual directory.
- Create an Application Pool and associate the virtual directory above to the Application Pool.
- Ensure the Application Pool is configured for .NET 4.0
- Upload all the files in the DeployToServer\QlmWebService folder and subfolders to the virtual directory (preserve the directory structure).
Configure the License Server
Customize the following settings in the web.config files based on your needs:
- Database connection string (refer to the Configure the Database section in the Help)
- Default QLM Engine Version (defaultQlmVersion).
- SQL Syntax(sqlsyntax).
- Communication Encryption Key (communicationEncryptionKey). The communication encryption key is used to encrypt data transferred between QLM and the QLM Web service. This key is like a password that protects your data. You should use a value that is hard to guess and at least 8 character long.
- Admin Encryption Key (adminEncryptionKey). The admin encryption key is used to encrypt data transferred between QLM and the QLM Web service. This key is like a password that protects your data. You should use a value that is hard to guess and at least 8 character long.
You need to give the anonymous user (IUSR_XXX, IWAM_XXX) execute privileges to the bin folder.
Change the default Communication and Admin Encryption Keys. If you do not, any other QLM customer may be able to view your data.
Configuring the Database
QLM Professional and Enterprise store all issued license keys as well as customer related information in a database on the web server. The default database that ships with QLM is a MS-Access database. However, you can use Microsoft SQL Server as well.
If you installed the QLM License Server using the provided setup program, the database is created automatically during the setup.
If you manually installed the QLM License Server, you will need to create the database manually as well as follows:
To use the MS-Access Database:
- Ccopy the qlm.mdb file from:
- QLM v7: C:\Program Files\Soraco\QuickLicenseMgr\DeployToServer\QlmWebService\Db to the location recommended by your ISP.
- QLM v8: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Quick License Manager\DeployToServer\QlmWebService\Db to the location recommended by your ISP.
- Update the connectionStrings section in the web.config file accordingly. Note that the web.config must contain the appropriate local path to the qlm.mdb file.
- Set the sqlSyntax setting to: msaccess
To use a Microsoft SQL Server database (SQL 2005 and higher):
- Use the tools provided by your ISP to create a database called Qlm (or any other name of your choice). Alternatively, you can execute the sql2005.createdb.sql script located in:
- QLM v7: C:\Program Files\Soraco\QuickLicenseMgr\DeployToServer\QlmWebService\Db.
- QLM v8: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Quick License Manager\DeployToServer\QlmWebService\Db.
- You may need to modify the path of the database in the script above.
- Execute the script sql2005.createusers.sql. You may want to modify the password. If you modify the password, update the password in the connectionStrings section of the web.config file.
- Execute the script sql2005.createtables.sql to create all the QLM tables
- Execute the script sql2005.aspnet.sql
- Update the connectionStrings section of the web.config file to point to the SQL database (see comments in web.config).
- Set the sqlSyntax setting to: sql
Connecting the QLM Management Application to your License Server
To connect the QLM Management application to your web service:
- Launch the QLM Management application
- Go to the Manage Keys tab
- Click Sites
- Click Add to add a new profile
- Provide a name to the profile
- In the Primary Site field, set the value to the URL of the web service. This is typically: http://yourserver.com/qlm/qlmservice.asmx
- Set the Database Engine to SQL Server or MS-Access, depending on what database you selected to install.
- Click the Encryption Keys tab
- Unmask the field and verify that the values match their corresponding values in the web.config file on the server. It is recommended to modify the default values.
- Go back to the General tab and click the Test button
- If you get an error saying that no products were found, click the Upload products to web service button.
- Then click on Test again to confirm that all tests pass.